Welcome to the Other Irids Web,(under construction)
Irid is short for Iridaceae. Iris is only one genus in the iridaceae
. Many of the other genera were separated later from Iris or originally named Iris. Even today there are many are commonly called Iris even though botanically they are another genus. This web displays all the genera in the iridaceae. The genera continue to be re-evaluated and current taxonomy has reduced some genera to synonyms of others. It is possible we have missed some of these changes but hopefully all names will be eventually be described and those that are no longer accepted annotated as such.
Select a letter to browse by genus or cultivar name: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
The Iris family is one of the larger families(64 genera) in the class Monocotyledonae, order Asparagales
, and filled with ornamental plants. The Genus Iris
is the type genus for the family. The family is so large that it is broken up into subfamilies and many of those into tribes. The Genus Iris is in the tribe Irideae in the subfamily Iridoideae: (see below)
The following are the other Genera in the Iris family listed by their respected Tribes and Subfamilies:
- Subfamily Isophysidoideae, one Genus, Isophysis with 1 species
- Subfamily Patersonioideae, one Genus, Patersonia with 21 species
- Subfamily Geosiridoideae, one Genus, Geosiris with 2 species
- Subfamily Aristeodeae, one Genus, Aristea with about 55 species
- Subfamily Nivenioideae, three Genera, Nivenia , Klattia, and Witsenia with 15 species
- Subfamily Crocoideae, twenty-nine Genera, with 1,010 species in five Tribes:
- Tribe Tritoniopsideae, Genus Tritoniopsis
- Tribe Watsonieae, Genera- Zygotritonia, Savannosiphon, Lapeirousia, Pillansia, Thereianthus, Micranthus, Watsonia.
- Tribe Gladioleae, Genera- Gladiolus, Melasphaerula.
- Tribe Freesiae, Genera- Crocosmia, Devia, Freesia, Xenoscapa.
- Tribe Croceae, Genera- Radinosiphon, Romulea, Afrocrocus, Syringodea, Crocus, Geissorhiza, Hesperantha, Babiana, Chasmanthe, Sparaxis, Duthiastrum, Tritonia, Ixia, Dierama,
- Subfamily Iridoideae. 30 Genera, about 890 species, in five tribes:
- Tribe Diplarreneae; Genus Diplarrena
- Tribe Irideae; Genera- Iris , Dietes , Bobartia , Ferraria , Moraea
- Tribe Sisyrinchieae; Genera- Libertia , Orthosanthus, Olsynium, Sisyrinchium, Solenomelus, Tapeinia
- Tribe Trimezieae; Genera- Trimezia, Pseudtrimezia, Neomarica, Pseudiris
- Tribe Tigridieae; Genera- Alophia , Calydorea, Cipura, Cobana, Cypella, Eleutherine, Ennealophus , Gelasine, Herbertia, Hesperoxiphion, Larentia, Mastigostyla, Nemastylis, Salpingostylis, Tigridia
In recent years the Iris family has undergone a lot of revision and the most current mongraph on the subject is The Iris Family, Natural History and Classification
by Peter Goldblatt & John Manning, Timber Press 2008. For a current update on the taxonomy one can go to http://www.mobot.org/mobot/research/apweb/welcome.html
A cladistic analysis of the Iris family is available at Annals of Missouri Botanical Botanical Garden, 1990
Lists of accepted species are verified by the World Checklist of Selected Plant Families "With the permission of the Trustees of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew" and cross checked by the International Plant Names Index. Any errors are solely those of the manager of this scientific collaboration project and should be called attention to the wiki manager. Our mission is to provide the best possible information for horticulturalists and botanists.
References for Iridaceae
Library of Iridaceae Literature other than Genus Iris
Library for Genus Iris
Please do not enter images that are not your own without owners' permission, this is against Wiki policy
"Although the Encyclopedia is free to all, it is supported by Emembership in AIS, If you would like to help sustain this reference, for $15 you can become an Emember, click here
Interested in Iris Species?
Please visit the: Species Iris Group of North America
Your Observations Are Valued.
Please make note of bud count, branching, purple based foliage and bloom time, etc. Because these are affected by climate, note date, year and geographic location and write these and other comments in the comment box below.
- 29 May 2018
Ird Web Utilities
* Add New Topic