Welcome to The American Iris Society's (AIS) Iris Wiki. With your help and the expertize of our members, this should be a comprehensive encyclopedic source of Iris information. It is powered by Foswiki opensource software. This is a wiki site, a meeting place to work on common interests. Anyone can contribute using any web browser. Iris Encyclopedia looks like a normal web site... except that it encourages contributions, questions, answers, comments and updates. The AIS hopes that this website will help you reach the full potential of your talents as a gardener and help you give back to other gardeners the knowledge you develop through your experiences. If you like our site, we hope you will help support our efforts by becoming a member. We wish you great gardening from the wiki Administrators. Mode d'Emploi, Pas à Pas
In general, you can search or browse everything without registering or logging in. Advanced Search
is recommended. It is important to check the box search all public webs
, since there are 20 webs. otherwise you will only search the opening web.
If you would like to add comments or upload photos, you need to be logged in. Click Register
, which can be summed up as polite discourse.
We have several folks designated as "docents" that add new cultivars and review changes. They can also lock or unlock a topic to stop disputes or spam. If you would like to volunteer to be a docent, you can find info about what's involved here
If you download photos note that the photographer retains his original copyrights. You must not add images copyrighted by others without their permision. By scrolling over a thumbnail the photographers name will appear, provided they added this to the comment box when it was uploaded. Photos on this wiki are not dense enough for commercial use.
Each cultivar topic has a comments box after the description. Click inside the comments box and type your comment. Click the "Add Comment" button. That's it!
For some ideas on how your comments can help build the database check out Phenology
While this wiki is under construction there may not be a page for the cultivar on which you would like to comment but you may send a note to email@example.com
and that cultivar page will be added for you.
To attach photos
Near the top right hand corner of the cultivar page you should see a link for "Attach". Click Attach
and that will bring up a dialog box for you to upload your photo.
- When you fill in the attachment dialog box, please do NOT check either of the checkboxes under Preferences.
- JPG is STRONGLY recommended, but gifs if you need to - no other picture types please!
- Please do NOT upload anything larger than 75k. We have limited space!
- Make sure your file name is UNIQUE and not the same as an existing attachment
- Once you have attached your photo, it will automatically appear in the thumbnails (subject to space limitations). If a thumbnail does not appear it is because you used punctuation or a space in the file name.
If you want to add a photo for a cultivar that has not yet been added, please email the cultivar name and photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
or one of the Docents
and they will add the cultivar and photo for you.
Some things to do
- Browse. This is a site like other sites. Read and follow interesting links.
- Experiment. Edit your personal page or visit the Sandbox web.
- Learn more. Some good places to start:
The original, longer version of the TWiki Welcome info is Welcome Guest
. This is useful if you are contributing new topics, cultivars and other page editing.
For more information: User Documentation