Welcome to the Other Irids Web,(under construction)
Irid is short for Iridaceae. This section displays all the genera currently in the iridaceae
. Iris is one of the genera in this family. Some taxonomists separated the Genus Iris into other genera. Here is more information about the current state of iris taxonomy
. Many plants are commonly called irises although taxonomists place them botanically in other genera. Re-classification is on-going. Some genera are now synonyms of others. The web attempts to remain current and will eventually include all descriptions. Those that are no longer accepted are listed as synonyms.
Select a letter to browse by genus or cultivar name: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
The Iris family is one of the larger families in the class Monocotyledonae, order Asparagales
. The Genus Iris
is the type genus for the family. The Genus Iris is in the tribe Irideae in the subfamily Iridoideae: (see below)
The Iris Family includes 7 subfamilies, 10 tribes, and 65 Genera:
- Subfamily Isophysidoideae, one Genus, Isophysis with 1 species
- Subfamily Patersonioideae, one Genus, Patersonia with 21 species
- Subfamily Geosiridoideae, one Genus, Geosiris with 2 species
- Subfamily Aristeodeae, one Genus, Aristea with about 55 species
- Subfamily Nivenioideae, three Genera, Nivenia , Klattia, and Witsenia with 15 species
- Subfamily Crocoideae, twenty-nine Genera, with 1,010 species in five Tribes:
- Tribe Tritoniopsideae, Genus Tritoniopsis
- Tribe Watsonieae, Genera- Zygotritonia, Savannosiphon, Lapeirousia, Pillansia, Thereianthus, Micranthus, Watsonia.
- Tribe Gladioleae, Genera- Gladiolus, Melasphaerula.
- Tribe Freesiae, Genera- Crocosmia, Devia, Freesia, Xenoscapa.
- Tribe Croceae, Genera- Radinosiphon, Romulea, Afrocrocus, Syringodea, Crocus, Geissorhiza, Hesperantha, Babiana, Chasmanthe, Sparaxis, Duthiastrum, Tritonia, Ixia, Dierama,
- Subfamily Iridoideae. 30 Genera, about 890 species, in five tribes:
- Tribe Diplarreneae; Genus Diplarrena
- Tribe Irideae; Genera- Iris , Dietes , Bobartia , Ferraria , Moraea
- Tribe Sisyrinchieae; Genera- Libertia , Orthrosanthus, Olsynium, Sisyrinchium, Solenomelus, Tapeinia
- Tribe Trimezieae; Genera- Trimezia, Pseudtrimezia, Neomarica, Pseudiris
- Tribe Tigridieae; Genera- Alophia , Calydorea, Cipura, Cobana, Cypella, Eleutherine, Ennealophus , Gelasine, Herbertia, Hesperoxiphion, Larentia, Mastigostyla, Nemastylis, Salpingostylis, Tigridia
In recent years the Iris family has undergone a lot of revision and the most current mongraph on the subject is The Iris Family, Natural History and Classification
by Peter Goldblatt & John Manning, Timber Press 2008. For a current update on the taxonomy one can go to http://www.mobot.org/mobot/research/apweb/welcome.html
A cladistic analysis of the Iris family is available at Annals of Missouri Botanical Botanical Garden, 1990
Lists of accepted species are verified by the World Checklist of Selected Plant Families "With the permission of the Trustees of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew" and cross checked by the International Plant Names Index. Any errors are solely those of the manager of this scientific collaboration project and should be called attention to the wiki manager. Our mission is to provide the best possible information for horticulturalists and botanists.
References for Iridaceae
Library of Iridaceae Literature other than Genus Iris presently has 536+ items
Library for Genera in the Iridaceae
Please do not enter images that are not your own without owners' permission, this is against Wiki policy
"Although the Encyclopedia is free to all, it is supported by Emembership in AIS, If you would like to help sustain this reference, for $15 you can become an Emember, click here
Interested in Iris Species?
Please visit the: Species Iris Group of North America
Your Observations Are Valued.
Please make note of bud count, branching, purple based foliage and bloom time, etc. Because these are affected by climate, note date, year and geographic location and write these and other comments in the comment box below.
- 29 May 2018