Hybridizer: Dr. L. Fitz Randolph --(1894-1980)
Ithaca, New York, USA
Dr. Randolph was an American scientist, in the field of genetics, botany and horticulture. He was a Cornell University graduate who became Professor of Botany and was also employed as an associate cytologist for the United States Department of Agriculture. He was an avid iris collector and wrote a book on the Iris genus. He was appointed chairman of the Scientific Committee of the American Iris Society, between 1945 and 1946. He started the counting of chromosomes of iris, growing seeds in vitro and classification of the genus. He also published in 1945, 'Embryo culture of Iris seed' Bulletin of the American Iris Society. Vol.97
After winning the Distinguished Service Medal in 1951, Randolph published many more papers on iris culture.During 1956 and 1959, he was made Membership Chairman for American Iris Society (AIS). In 1959, he edited Garden Irises,
published by The American Iris Society. He also re-organised the William Dykes classification of irises, by moving certain irises into different sections and subgenera. This classification is still used by the American Iris Society. He served as the vice president and then became the 9th President of the American Iris Society from 1960 to 1962.
Recipient of the Foster Memorial Plaque
Dr. Randolph and his wife Fannie made several trips to Europe collecting irises. The fruit of these trips can be seen particularly in the Minature Dwarf, Standard Dwarf, and Minature Tall Bearded listings below. Also see Scientist Dr. L. Fitz Randolph
for a list of his publications.
Border Bearded: 'Black and Blue'
, 'Border Charm'
, 'Border Pink'
Intermediate Bearded: 'Barbi'
, 'Early Cheer'
Minature Dwarf Bearded: 'Attica Parnes'
, 'Chamaeiris Campiglia'
, 'Chamaeiris LeLuc'
, 'Italica Caprazoppa'
, 'Pseudopumila Zadar'
, 'Pumila Munich'
Minature Tall Bearded: 'Illyrica Trieste'
Standard Dwarf Bearded: 'Aphylla Hungary'
, 'Bright Delight'
, 'Olbiensis Sannicandro'
, 'Illyrica Trieste'
Tall Bearded: 'Arctic Symphony'
, 'Aztec Gold'
, 'Big Red'
, 'Blue Cayuga'
, 'Blue Halo'
, 'Bright Halo'
, 'Exotic Blue'
, 'Far Above'
, 'Fred's Red'
, 'Gay Chartreuse'
, 'Jessie Viette'
, 'Morning Sunlight'
, 'Pink Cheeks'
, 'Serene White'
, 'Wayside Apricot Beauty'
Publications on Iris
- Randolph, L. F., (1934), Bulletin of the American Iris Society 52: 61–66.
- Randolph, L. F., (1947), Bulletin of the American Iris Society 107: 67–78.
- Randolph, L. F., (1955), The Geographic Distribution of European and Eastern Mediterranean Species of Bearded Iris, The Iris Year Book 1955, p. 35-46.
- Randolph, L. F., (1956), Crossability of bearded iris species. Bulletin of the American Iris Society No. 140: p. 24-31. Chromosomes in Iris Species 50–60.
- Randolph, L. F., (editor), Garden Irises (1959), American Iris Society.
- Randolph, L. F., (1957), "More medans". Bulletin of the American Iris Society No. 144: p. 10-24. January, 1957. Illustrations of I. rubromarginata, I. aphylla, I. bosniaca, I. chamaeiris.
- Randolph, L. F., (1957), Cytogenetics of Median bearded Irises. Bulletin of the American Iris Society No. 145: p. 1-8. April, 1957. I. attica ‘Parnes'.
- Randolph, L. F., (1959), "Karyotypes of Iris species." American Journal of Botany 46, 2.
- Randolph, L. F., (1966),‘Iris nelsonii' in Baileya 14:143 (1966), New York.
- Randolph, L. F., & Fannie Randolph, (1959), Collecting Irises Abroad, Bulletin of the American Iris Society No. 155, p5-11, July, 1961.
- Randolph, L. F., & F. Randolph, (1961), Collecting Iris Species in Europe, Bulletin of the American Iris Society No. 162, p37-39, July, 1961.
- Randolph, L. F., & Katherine Heinig, (1953), Chromosome Studies of Dwarf Iris Species and Hybrids, The Iris Year Book 1953. P. 45–52.
- Randolph, L. F., & G. H. Lawrence, (1958), Classification of Eupogon Irises, Bulletin of the American Iris Society No. 148, p. 9-17. January, 1958.
- Randolph, L. F., & Mitra, Jyotirmay, (1956), Chromosome numbers of Iris species. Bulletin of the American Iris Society, No. 140, p. 50-60.
- Randolph, L. F., & Mitra, J., (1959), ‘Karyotypes of Iris pumila and related species' in American Journal of Botany 46::93-102. Baltimore.
- Randolph, L. F., & Mitra, J., (1959), Iris Chromosome Numbers, Bulletin of the American Iris Society, No. 152, p. 5-9, January 1959.
- Randolph, L. F., & Mitra, J., (1960), Chromosomes of Aril and Arilbred Irises, Bulletin of the American Iris Society, No. 157, p. 41-60.April 1960.
- Randolph, L. F., & Mitra, J., (1961), ‘Karyotypes of Iris species indigenous to the USSR . American Journal of Botany. 48, 10.
- Randolph, L. F., & Mitra, J., (1962), The dwarf bearded Iris hybrids of Goos and Koeneman. Caryolog. 15, 3: 477–483.
-- Main.RPries - 2012-05-18