Iris Encyclopedia Projects - Awards
The Iris Encyclopedia has been created by the American Iris Society for all irisarians and would-be irisarians. Similar to the better known Wikipedia, the thousands of edits and editors have created and continue to improve it. There are many opportunities for you to help. Each typo you find and correct, each punctuation correction, each link added or corrected, and each piece of additional information you add is important. There are also topics requiring regular updates and areas for new developments.
The topics below were originally part of the Iris Encyclopedia Projects
page. They have been moved here for further development.
AIS and Other Awards
The world's Iris Societies have created awards for irises and for people. Learn more on the Awards page
. How to update these award pages is covered below. 2019 AIS Medal Winners have been entered. Useful references are - 2014 Winners
- 2015 Winners
: There were no 2020 winners because of the coronavirus. The photo galleries should be checked for missing photos from time to time. This can occur because of changes in the cultivar's page when photos are removed or renamed. When inserting a photo in a gallery, the height should match those of the other pictures, generally 150 px (the second box under appearance). When adding an iris to the gallery, also add a back link from that iris to that awards page.
AIS Garden Awards last checked for missing photos January 14 2021.
- The American Dykes Medal for best Iris from an American hybridizer, - Last updated 10/12/20.
- The Caparne-Welch Medal for best Miniature Dwarf Bearded, - Last updated 1/14/21. The winners before 1982 need a gallery created and photos added.
- The Cook-Douglas Medal for best Standard Dwarf Bearded, - Last updated 8/20/20. The winners 1975 and before need added to the gallery.
- The Debaillon Medal for best Louisiana Iris, - Last updated 8/21/20. The winners 2010 and earlier need added to the gallery. Picture height of 180 px is being used.
- The Eric Nies Medal for best Spuria, - Last updated 8/25/20 - The winners 1992 and before need a gallery created and photos added.
- The Founders of SIGNA Medal for best species cultivar, - Last updated 10/12/20.
- The Knowlton Medal for best Border Bearded, - Last updated 8/23/19. Winners 1995 and before need added to the gallery.
- The Mitchell Medal for best Pacific Coast Native, - Last updated 8/26/20. Winners 1992 and before need Award gallery created and photos added.
- The Mohr Medal for best quarter Arilbred, - Last updated 9/5/20. 'Aspen Country' needs a photo.
- The Morgan-Wood Medal for best Siberian, - Last updated 11/9/20. 2000 and before need added to gallery with photos.
- The Payne Medal for best Japanese, - Last updated 1/14/21. Winners 1992 and before need Award gallery created and photos added.
- The Randolph-Perry Medal for best Species Cross, - Last updated 9/11/20. - look for Wooly Bully duplicate -
- The Sass Medal for best Intermediate Bearded, - Last updated 8/31/19. Winners 2010 and before need added to gallery with photos.
- The White Medal for best aril or arilbred, - Last updated 9/12/2020. Picture height of 190 px is being used. Winners 1992 and before need Award gallery created and photos added.
- The Williamson-White Medal for best Miniature Tall-bearded, - Last updated 9/2/2019. Winners 2004 and before need added to gallery with photos.
- The Wister Medal for best Tall Bearded Iris,- Last updated 8/23/2019.
Awards by Country
- Walther Cup - convert to table and extend - 1970 Pink Taffeta - Last updated 10/13/20. Needs photos for 2004 and before.
- Ben Hager Cup - Needs 2018 and 2019 locations. Last updated 10/18/20. The AIS website Awards & Symposiums page is another source of this information. Could be converted to photo gallery.
- Presidents Cup - Needs 2018 and 2019. Could be converted to photo gallery.
- Franklin Cook Cup - Needs 2018 and 2019. Could be converted to photo gallery.
- Zurbrigg-Mahan Seedling Cup - Mostly updated 2/12/2019. Also can update with names as seedlings are registered. Needs 2019 entered.
- The Iris Society of Australia awards include: The Australian Dykes Medal. - Needs 2012 and earlier winners photos added to the table. Needs 2019 winner added. Photo height is 200 pixels. The winners need their pages linked back to the award. For an explanation of the structure of the awards system and how it is judged click here to see the ISA Judges Handbook. Note: The ISA also awards the ISA Medal annually for the top-scoring iris of a different type to that which has received the Dykes Medal, e.g. if the Dykes Medal winner is a bearded cultivar, then the highest-scoring beardless cultivar receives the ISA Medal, and vice versa. (Quote from ISA website) This needs added to the Iris Encyclopedia.
- The British Iris Society awards include: The British Dykes Medal, Wisley Trials, For an explanation of the structure of the awards system and how it is judged click here.
- The French Iris and Bulb Society awards include: Franceiris. Médaille De Dykes; For an explanation of the structure of the awards system and how it is judged click here
- The Iris Branch of the German Perennials Society Awards for Iris, 2012
- The Italian Iris Society awards include: Premio Firenze For an explanation of the structure of the awards system and how it is judged click here.
- The Moscow Iris Competition awards include here
- The New Zealand Iris Society awards include the New Zealand Dykes Medal. For an explanation of the structure of the awards system and how it is judged click here.
Honorary Awards (to people)
Awards from other Societies
- Foster Memorial Plaque
- Victoria Medal Of Honour
- The New Zealand Iris Society has a number of other awards. The posting on the World of Irises blog describes some of the 2019 awards and winners. The awards need a page created and the winners added.
Identifying Other Awards
What other awards for irises or people are there? As we identify current or previous awards, pages need created and the information added.
- 18 Nov 2020